Carlisle is located very close to the M6, which makes it easily accessible by road from both England and Scotland and as Carlisle train station is on the west coast main line rail travel is a very popular option.
With a choice of 3 exits from the M6 to Carlisle
- M6 (junctions 42,43, & 44) primary motorway route passing east of Carlisle.
- M74 (M74/A74 leading to M60) access to and from Scotland
- A69 Carlisle to Newcastle trunk road extends beyond Warwick Road eastwards passing Brampton.
- M6/A6 provides access to the whole of the Lake District.
- A7 an alternative route to Scotland via Longtown
- M6/A74/A75 leads to Stranraer for ferry links to Ireland
- A595/A596 links to the west coast and Barrow in Furness
- A689 Alston and the Pennines
Carlisle has a good selection of long and short stay car parks, multi-storey, surface and on-street car parking.
There are many spaces available for disabled Blue Badge holders who are eligible for free parking for 2 to 3 hours in any Carlisle City Council Pay and Display car parks.
Public bus transport is operated predominately by Stagecoach
Hadrian’s Wall Bus (AD 122) operates along the wall Easter to October and provides access to all major sites open to the public between Carlisle and Newcastle.
Carlisle has a comprehensive rail network with access to and from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham and London Euston and is the regional rail hub.
Virgin trains provide the well serviced West Coast Main Line linking Scotland the Midlands and the south of England.
Northern Rail operates the following services via Carlisle
- The Tyne Valley Railway – linking Brampton, Haltwhistle, and Newcastle stations
- Cumbria Coastal Line – giving access to Wigton, Aspatria, Maryport, Workington, Whitehaven, Barrow in Furness and Lancaster.
The Settle to Carlisle route is said to be one of the most scenic In England linking Carlisle with Leeds via Settle and Skipton. On certain dates special stream trains operate on this route.
Good motorway, railway, road connections ensure visitors arriving at Blackpool, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow and Edinburgh airports can reach Carlisle with ease.